SOCAN, CONNECT Music Licensing and Re:Sound
Music Licenses

When you start planning your Wedding, you will no doubt speak to several Venues and hear the phrase "Socan License" or "CONNECT Music Licensing License" or "Re:Sound License". Changing technology and laws with respect to the copying and use of music have created these types of "licenses" that cover the reproduction of music and it's use at public functions, especially those functions involved with dancing or entertainment.

Although you as a consumer are only responsible for one (1) of these licenses, specifically the SOCAN license, it's important to understand these licenses and how they relate to your special function.


Socan Logo

SOCAN License
A SOCAN License is a performance license under the Copyright Act and deals with functions where music is being used for any form of entertainment. This license is normally paid for by you and included in the "Hall" or "Venue" rental fee for your function.

However, some event vendors are choosing to expose this license requirement to their renters, and are asking for the fee in addition to their hall rental fee.

You can read more about this by clicking HERE.

Connect Music Licensing Logo

Connect Music Licensing

A Connect Music Licensing License is a music copying license that your DJ should have if he is using any copied music compilations or hard disk computer playback system for your function.

You should ask your DJ if he has such a license and to show you this license before you decide to hire him or her.

Not ALL disc jockeys require this license but 99% of disc jockeys use self copied music compilations and as "commercial" users of music are not covered under the same laws as non-commercial users such as consumers who make copies for their own private use.

You can read more about this by clicking HERE.

Re:Sound Logo

Re:Sound License

Re:Sound licenses businesses that use recorded music.

The money that Re:Sound collects is distributed to recording artists and record labels in the form or royalties.

If an event uses recorded music (including music used by a DJ), it is likely that the Venue or the Event Promoter will need a License from Re:Sound.

It is important to note that it is the Venue or the Promoter that is responsible for obtaining a Re:Sound license, not the DJ.

You can read more about this by clicking HERE.