Inspiring all DJs through Education, Networking and Support

CONNECT Music Licensing Program Terms

All members that choose to participate in purchasing a discounted license from CONNECT Music Licensing through the CPDJA must maintain an active, paid membership with the association. Should the member choose to cancel or not renew their membership with the CPDJA or a membership payment lapses, they acknowledge that all CONNECT Music Licensing licenses they may have purchased become null and void and that no part of the license purchase fees are refundable. The CPDJA is required to share its active member list with CONNECT Music Licensing to ensure compliance in membership as it relates to this part of our member-only benefits. 

CONNECT Music Licensing

CONNECT Music Licensing is an agency that provides licences on behalf of the copyright owners (usually the record companies) for the purpose of DUPLICATING audio and video recordings in Canada.

If a DJ has copied music (on to a computer hard drive, USB flash drive, CD-Rs, cassettes or mini-discs) or purchased music from iTunes to their computer, they are required — by law — to have that computer licensed by CONNECT Music Licensing.

Examples of CONNECT Music Licensing approved source content includes:

  • Store bought CDs
  • iTunes downloads (in conjunction with a CONNECT Music Licensing licence)
  • CONNECT Music Licensing licensed Music Supply Service & Video Pool content providers such as Multi Music (ERG), Xtendamix, etc.

All Professional Members of the CPDJA have access to purchasing discounted CONNECT Music Licensing licenses for just $125 + tax (regular price is $331.55 + tax). Professional Members can purchase these licenses online through the Members Area of this website.

For a complete list of music suppliers and more information, please see the CONNECT Music Licensing website.

Re:Sound and SOCAN

Re:Sound represents the performance rights of ARTISTS and RECORD COMPANIES while SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) does the same for COMPOSERS, SONGWRITERS and MUSIC PUBLISHERS. Re:Sound and SOCAN are distinct organizations that represent different groups and as such, both are required to be compensated.

When people hire a band or a DJ, they are paying for their services as performing artists but not for the public performance of the music itself. Performing music and creating music are two separate types of creative work, and each deserves fair compensation, even in cases where the performers are also the creators of the works.

Re:Sound & SOCAN fees are levied by all venues (not by the band or a DJ) which are available for public use such as hotels, community halls, etc. These fees are often shown as separate line items on venue rental agreements.

For more information, please see the Re:Sound website and the SOCAN website.

Canadian Professional Disc Jockey Association

1085 Water Street

Peterborough, Ontario K9H 3P7

(833) CPDJA DJ

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software